Intro

If you are coming here for the first time, please read the Introductory Post!
Google

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Indexing Network Shares with Microsoft Indexing Server

Here is the kind of thing that I designed this blog for. I was having a problem getting the Microsoft Indexing Server to properly index files in a file share. It seemed like it was working, since I didn't get a specific error message, but it only showed 1 file and 0 entries in the index.

You view the status of the Indexing Server by browsing to it in the Microsoft Management Console (MMC). When I checked the Application Event Log, it showed the following errors:

CiDaemon failed to logon administrator because of error 1326.

and

File change notifications for scope are not enabled because of error 1326. This scope will be periodically scanned.

and

Indexing Service failed to logon administrator because of error 1326.

Error 1326 is a login error, by the way.

The solution was that when you add a shared directory to an Indexing catalog by entering the UNC path, you have to specify a domain username and password. That domain user must be able to interactively log in to the indexing server machine and must be able to read and traverse the directories on the file share.

You cannot just enter a machine account in these boxes or leave them blank. Once I added a user to the local users of the indexing server and made sure that domain user could connect to the share, the Indexing Service worked great.

Here are some links that I used to find this error:

Microsoft MSDN pages

This forum thread had all of the right questions and led me to the right answer, but didn't seem to have an easy way to reply (so I'm doing it here).

2 comments:

Aryo Handono said...

It happends to me also, but I receive Error code 1909 too.
Cid cant logon using DOMAIN\USER because of Error code 1909.

Does error 1909 means cant logon because user already lockdown ?

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post. This solved my problem.

I kept thinking that I needed to indicate an account on the remote machine that was hosting the files that I wanted to index. That is true, but it looks like the user must also exist on the local/indexing machine.

I guess if you have a domain this is natural, but if you are setting this up in a workgroup, you'll need to create/use a user that exists on both machines and has the appropriate permissions....